Tissington House Fire

Tissington House FireOn Monday, a family on Tissington suffered a devastating house fire, early reports advised that the fire was caused by an electrical fault, however officers at the council have since advised that the fire brigade have reported that the fire was not caused by an electrical fault.

Thankfully I’m advised that there were no injuries sustained in the fire, but as it’s a Tuesday, I would urge everyone to follow the advise of the fire service and take part in #TestitTuesday, and make sure your smoke alarms works.

You can get additional information on fire safety in the home, from the fire safety in the home section of the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service website by clicking here.

Unfortunately the family involved in the fire, did not have home insurance and a family member has launched an appeal on just giving, which you can support by clicking here, quite often new tenants  (and sometimes longer standing tenants) believe that the council automatically insure their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes.

However this is not the case and some tenants only realise this after the damage has been done. The council does however make it easy for you to insure your belongings under a special household contents insurance scheme [887KB] which is run by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, the details of which you can see by clicking here or by picking up a leaflet from either the office at the shops, or Glossop Town Hall.