Anthony was first elected as the local Labour and Coop Councillor for the Gamesley Ward on High Peak Borough Council in 1999.
Following the local elections on Thursday, 2nd May 2019, at which Anthony was re-elected, Anthony was also re-elected as leader of the Labour Group and, following the full council meeting on Thursday, 15th May 2019, was elected as the new leader of the Council.
The Labour Party were re-elected with an increased majority of 29 Councillors at the local elections in 2023.
Anthony was re-elected as the leader of the Labour Group and, following the full council meeting on Thursday, 18th May, was reelected as the leader of the Council.
As the leader of the Council, Anthony’s responsibilities include:
- Overall strategy and delivery of agreed Council priorities and objectives, including the formulation and / or preparation of plans or strategies for consideration by Council, such as the Asset Management Plan, Community Strategy, High Peak Plan.
- Strategic alliance with Staffordshire Moorlands District Council
- Oversight of all Executive portfolio responsibilities.
- Appointments to outside bodies where they relate to Executive functions
- Representing the interests of the Council to and building and developing relationships with partners at all levels to pursue matters of interest to the Council and the community.
- Communication, including social media and the Councils website
- Community and wider engagement with the Council, including VCSE Sector and community grants
- Emergency Planning
- Customer Services
- Freedom of Information
- Arts and Culture
- Governance and Democracy including the Constitution
- UK Share Prosperity Fund