Thankfully there were no injuries reported, with a fast response from the fire service to deal with the problem.
From time to time on twitter, the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue service has run a campaign called #TestitTuesday, around encouraging people to check and ensure that there smoke alarms are working, by testing it every week on a Tuesday, with the following statements from the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue website highlighting why :
- You’re twice as likely to die in a fire if you don’t have a smoke alarm that works.
- 90 people die each year because the battery in their smoke alarm was flat or missing.
The Derbyshire Fire and Rescue service website, has a whole section of advice on keeping safe, which you can view by clicking here.
Another thing to consider is a “Home Fire Safety Check”, the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue service, provide details on their website to do a DIY check which you can see by clicking here, or alternatively you may want to contact them to arrange a visit for a safety check, you can see details for arranging that by clicking here.